A new model for health education with a sustainable legacyUniversity of Sydney - Susan Wakil Health Building
- Project Name University of Sydney - Susan Wakil Health Building
- Client The University of Sydney
- Location Sydney, Australia
- Status Complete
Having delivered numerous leading hospitals and medical education buildings around the world, Laing O'Rourke was perfectly placed for this project.
The University of Sydney’s Susan Wakil Health Building provides a vital connection between practice and research. Laing O’Rourke was engaged to utilise its wealth of global experience to deliver the main works for the state-of-the-art facility.
The 21,500m2 all purpose-built facility was delivered in collaboration with architects, Billard Leece Partnership and Diller Scofidio + Renfro, and brings together multiple health disciplines, creating unique, interprofessional learning programs and multidisciplinary research opportunities.
Demolition, construction, landscaping and more
Laing O’Rourke offered certainty through the power of experience, having previously delivered public hospitals, cancer centres, university hospitals and other educational institutions, such as schools throughout the UK and Australia.
Our responsibilities on this build included:
- Demolition and enabling works;
- Site excavation and earthworks;
- Construction of the health building;
- Landscaping works; and
- Utilities and infrastructure connection works.
Leaving an incredible legacy for future generations
In recognition that sustainability was a key driver of our client’s vision for the facilities, the project team exceeded their sustainability targets by delivering a highly sought-after, ‘Platinum’ Sustainability Rating.
This was achieved by applying the University of Sydney’s own Sustainability Framework, one that builds on the Green Building Council of Australia’s Greenstar Framework with the inclusion of specific elements unique to the university, to the design and delivery process. The team attained 122 of a total 140 possible grading points on the project, ensuring that the Susan Wakil Health Building exceeded the target of a ‘Silver’ status with a ‘Platinum’ building rating.
Spread over eight floors and with views across the city, the Susan Wakil Health Building’s facilities boast:
- State-of-the-art clinical simulation teaching spaces;
- Formal and informal learning and contemporary research facilities;
- A multiservice clinic serving research, teaching, industry and community outreach;
- Activity-based workspaces including a mix of open plan, quiet and social spaces;
- A 350-seat lecture theatre; and
- A rehabilitation gym.
'Platinum' GreenStar Building Rating
All purpose-built facility