When Laing O’Rourke was awarded a contract to deliver the new Metro platforms beneath Sydney’s Central Station, our innovative designs introduced multiple benefits.Sydney Central Station Metro
- Project Name Central Station Upgrade and Central Walk
- Client Sydney Metro, Transport for NSW
- Location Sydney, Australia
- Status Completion in 2022
A $955 million contract for the delivery of new Sydney Metro platforms beneath Central Station and an extensive pedestrian concourse, was intended to revitalise and transform Australia’s busiest commuter hub.
Once members of Laing O’Rourke’s design team worked their way through the reference design, they managed to introduce numerous, major benefits that improved efficiencies, dramatically reduced materials required and improved customer experience. In doing so, they offered the client great certainty around the project and its outcomes.
All design inputs were gleaned from past experience in delivering major infrastructure in busy, city-centre transport hubs.
Designing certainty into the project
After work on the reference design to introduce greater structural efficiencies, Laing O’Rourke’s design team brought multiple benefits, including:
- a solution for the metro station box that reduced total concrete usage by approximately 38%
- a design solution for Central Walk eliminating 462 low-headroom piles at platform level, dramatically reducing materials required
- a two-metre increase in head height on the north-south concourse for a more generous space
- increased column spacing from 12 metres to 15 metres, to declutter thoroughfares
- changed services design, reducing large quantities of service ducting
- Highly efficient water systems, including rainwater and stormwater systems
- Renewable energy technologies such as solar lighting, and photovoltaic technologies to eliminate smell and noise from diesel-based portable light towers
Million in value
metres of service ducting saved after design changes
of concrete saved after a redesign for structural efficiency