Connecting Northern New South Wales and Queensland through Inland Rail.Inland Rail Narrabri to North Star Phase 2 and North Star to NSW/QLD Border
- Project Name Inland Rail Narrabri to North Star Phase 2 and North Star to NSW/QLD Border
- Client Inland Rail Pty Ltd (subsidiary of Australian Rail Track Corporation)
- Location Northern New South Wales and Southern Queensland
- Status Under development
Laing O'Rourke is the preferred construction partner for the North Star to NSW/QLD Border and Narrabri to North Star Phase 2 sections of Inland Rail.
In 2021, Inland Rail appointed Laing O’Rourke as the preferred contractor for the North Star to NSW/QLD Border and Narrabri to North Star Phase 2 sections of Inland Rail in Northern New South Wales and Southern Queensland. These works comprise an approximate 85km section between North Star in New South Wales and Whetstone in Queensland as well as a separate approximately 14km section south of Moree called, Narrabri to North Star Phase 2.
Laing O’Rourke is working collaboratively with Inland Rail to complete early investigations, detailed design and consultation.
The project will bring the following benefits:
- Inland Rail is an approximately 1,600km freight rail network that will connect Melbourne and Brisbane via regional Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
- It will better link businesses, manufacturers and producers to national and global markets and is generating opportunities for industries and regions during construction and beyond.
Rail bridges (including 1.7km bridge over Macintyre River and Whalen Creek)
Public road level crossings (eight in NSW, eight in QLD)
Crossing loops (each 2.2km long)