This website uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them.

Close

Operational net zero by 2030

The company will deliver an absolute reduction in carbon emissions from its directly controlled operations (Scope 1 & 2 emissions) of at least 75% by 2030 – a reduction in total emissions even as the business grows. The remainder, a maximum of 25%, will be achieved through carbon removal activities or offsetting. 

 

The company has started this process by reducing demand for energy across its operations, and achieved a 1.5 million kWh reduction in its electricity usage in the year to March 2020. 

 

To achieve 75% reduction in absolute carbon emissions, teams are developing plans to further improve energy efficiency and to transition to biofuels as a stepping-stone to the full electrification of operations (including car fleet and plant).  

 

The decarbonisation plan is dynamic and will evolve in response to advances in technology. 

Three projects are already being progressed:   

 

  • Converting all company offices and project sites to renewable energy tariffs 
  • Transitioning to an all-electric company car fleet 
  • Investing in commercial solar panels to power all operations at the Laing O’Rourke Centre of Excellence for Modern Construction in Nottinghamshire. 

However, the company fully recognises that to achieve net zero it must work with clients, suppliers and academic partners to innovate and develop ways to reduce Scope 3 (supply chain) emissions. Through the Laing O’Rourke Centre for Construction Engineering and Technology at Cambridge University, it will increase research into decarbonising construction and advance the knowledge of its own employees and others.