Confirmed As One Of Australia's Top Innovators
Laing O’Rourke has taken out the eighth spot on BRW’s 50 Most Innovative Companies list. It is Laing O’Rourke’s second consecutive year at #8.
The list ranks Australia’s top 50 idea-driven companies delivering change that adds value, and recognises great innovation across all sectors. The winners were rated by a panel of independent, expert judges.
To make the cut, Laing O’Rourke successfully completed a three part assessment process that looked at specific innovations implemented in the last twelve months, and how innovation has been integrated and embedded into the business.
Laing O’Rourke also took home the inaugural award for the Best HR/Internal Innovation.
Specific innovations showcased to BRW over the past two years include:
- The SunShift hybrid solar diesel solution for powering remote infrastructure;
- A smart hard hat to monitor the health and wellbeing of construction workers;
- Stabilor - our unique soil-binding polymer that improves the construction of roads and pavement infrastructure;
- Large-scale 3D printing and prototyping for complex construction modules;
- An internal innovation platform that allows our people to explore, rate and recommend each other's ideas for further development;
- The LORAR+ Augmented Reality application, allowing clients and other stakeholders to interact with a project before it is built; and
- Our internal R&D investment to harness the skills of global industry leaders, bringing them together in the Engineering Excellence Group.
Laing O’Rourke’s submission also highlighted the company’s leadership in the use of digital engineering, Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA) and other technologies to improve the safety and efficiency of complex infrastructure projects.
Australia Hub Managing Director Cathal O’Rourke said only three of last year’s Top 10 firms were represented in the highest standings this year, including Laing O’Rourke.
“We are committed to the continual pursuit of innovation, to help drive a sustainable infrastructure future,” Mr O’Rourke said.
“We are delivering exciting innovations that will challenge and change the way the construction industry goes to work, and will drive certainty for governments and private sector clients in the provision of their infrastructure.
“I’m incredibly proud that we’ve been recognised in the top 10 for two years, and are the first and only Tier One engineering and construction firm to make the list."