Full project details
The AIR5428 Project will deliver a turnkey pilot training solution that integrates physical and synthetic training environments for the Australian Defence Force.
As a Managing Contractor, Laing O’Rourke is delivering new pilot training infrastructure at five RAAF bases for the Department of Defence, across Victoria, Western Australia, South Australia and New South Wales. This project will deliver the Department of Defence a turnkey pilot training solution that integrates physical and synthetic training environments.
The AIR5428 Pilot Training System Facilities project will deliver pilot training facilities and infrastructure at five RAAF bases across Australia, across Victoria, Western Australia, South Australia and New South Wales It supports the Department of Defence’s introduction of the PC-21 aircraft by providing Pilot Training Systems and associated infrastructure at each base, building Defence’s capability to take a trainee from initial flight screening through to their entry into advanced fighter training courses.
The scope includes shelters, hangars, classrooms, Synthetic Training Environment simulators, briefing rooms, accommodation and other facilities at RAAF Base East Sale in Victoria and RAAF Bases Pearce and Gingin in WA, and minor works at RAAF Base Williamtown (NSW) and RAAF Base Edinburgh (SA).
- Work across these bases generally includes a combination of:
- Refurbishing flight line shelters
- Alterations to aprons and taxiway to service PC-21 aircraft
- Constructing new and upgrading existing maintenance facilities, flight line offices, Aeronautical Life Support Equipment, aircraft storage and aircraft wash facilities
- Constructing new and upgrading existing Flight Training School classrooms, training simulators, working accommodation and briefing rooms
- Upgrades to trunk infrastructure
- Associated decanting, demolition, landscaping and car parking.
This project is being delivered across multiple live and operational RAAF bases. Laing O’Rourke’s Digital Engineering led approach is designing and staging the works in the Planning Phase to create a digital model that manages construction in the Delivery Phase. Our approach is minimising impacts and interfaces with Defence’s personnel as we decant existing facilities and adapt them for their intended reuse.
Defence Experience and Achievements
- With more than three decades of experience in the sector, Laing O’Rourke has delivered or is currently delivering more than $2.2 billion of Defence projects across Australia (as at Q4 2016)
- Laing O’Rourke was named by Australian Defence Magazine (ADM) as one of the Top 40 Defence Contractors for 2015
- The Moorebank Units Relocation Project, delivered in 2015 at Holsworthy in Sydney’s south west, won the Australian Construction Achievement Award for 2016